Carol Dean (Shaw) Evans, 86, of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, passed away on Friday, March 20, 2020 at John Knox Hospice House in Lee’s Summit. The family will be having a private burial at Floral Hills East Cemetery in Lee’s Summit. Memorials and contributions are suggested to Crossroads Hospice.
Carol was born on November 25, 1933 in Webb City, Missouri to Elver and Eva Marie (Essary) Shaw.
Alzheimer’s is a devastating disease. It robs a person of their memory, their skills, their personality, their dignity, and ultimately their life. It’s also very stressful for the caregivers and family members who lovingly take care of their family member as best they can. Although Alzheimer’s took so much from our family, it can never take the memories we have of our precious mother who lovingly raised her five children. We will always remember the mom who:
- Made us a big, warm breakfast every morning before school, even when she was working a full time job.
- Let us have backyard carnivals and invite all the neighborhood kids.
- Let us make a purple stained mess while “helping” her make homemade jelly from the grapes that grew on the vines in our backyard.
- Made us popcorn in the winter and chocolate malts in the summer while watching our favorite T.V. shows like Bonanza, Lawrence Welk, and Andy Griffith.
- Threw us surprise birthday parties and made us special homemade birthday cakes.
- Played “catch” in the yard with her boys.
- Always attended their ballgames.
- Taught us girls how to sew (a skill Eva and Bonnie didn’t quite learn.)
- Read us Bible stories.
- Taught us the importance of writing thank you notes.
- Taught us how to cook (Only she could stretch 1 lb. of ground beef to feed a family of 7.)
- Made us go to church on Sunday mornings even though there usually was an argument going on in the back seat as she was in the front seat blowing her freshly polished nails.
Our mom was by no means a perfect mother, but she was THE perfect mother for us!
Carols was preceded in death by her parents; 8 brothers & sisters; and her son, Donald “Rocky” Evans. She is survived by her husband, Bob Evans; daughters, Teresa Myers, Eva Cason and husband Ted, Bonnie Robinson; son, Randy Evans; 12 grandchildren; 17 great grandchildren; and brother, Morris Shaw of Carl Junction, Missouri.
Bonnie, my friend and sister in Christ, please know that you have my sympathy and prayers for you and your family.
Now in the hands of God to help bring transition from life to eternal life, in hopes this will bring comfort to the family.
I feel a loss as I was not able to know her before the disease started taken over.
Prayers and condolences to the family.
What wonderful memories you shared of your childhood with your darling mother! Such a blessing to have such a loving and giving mom who made growing up so full of wonderful memories! She is Home now and her journey was well run! HalleluYah!
Keith and Cami
Aunt Carol was a very sweet and loving person who will be greatly missed. I’m so sorry for your loss.
My deepest sympathy to the family. Carol was a very sweet and kind lady and always had a smile on her face. I’ll keep your family in my prayers.
Sorry to hear of the death of your lovely wife, Bob and may God give comfort to the children.
We’re so sorry to hear of your loss. We remember Carol and family from Raytown Christian Church. She was a lovely Christian lady, and we know you have lots of happy memories.