Carol Dean (Shaw) Evans, 86, of Lee’s Summit, Missouri, passed away on Friday, March 20, 2020 at John Knox Hospice House in Lee’s Summit. The family will be having a private burial at Floral Hills East Cemetery in Lee’s Summit. Memorials and contributions are suggested to Crossroads Hospice.
Carol was born on November 25, 1933 in Webb City, Missouri to Elver and Eva Marie (Essary) Shaw.
Alzheimer’s is a devastating disease. It robs a person of their memory, their skills, their personality, their dignity, and ultimately their life. It’s also very stressful for the caregivers and family members who lovingly take care of their family member as best they can. Although Alzheimer’s took so much from our family, it can never take the memories we have of our precious mother who lovingly raised her five children. We will always remember the mom who:
- Made us a big, warm breakfast every morning before school, even when she was working a full time job.
- Let us have backyard carnivals and invite all the neighborhood kids.
- Let us make a purple stained mess while “helping” her make homemade jelly from the grapes that grew on the vines in our backyard.
- Made us popcorn in the winter and chocolate malts in the summer while watching our favorite T.V. shows like Bonanza, Lawrence Welk, and Andy Griffith.
- Threw us surprise birthday parties and made us special homemade birthday cakes.
- Played “catch” in the yard with her boys.
- Always attended their ballgames.
- Taught us girls how to sew (a skill Eva and Bonnie didn’t quite learn.)
- Read us Bible stories.
- Taught us the importance of writing thank you notes.
- Taught us how to cook (Only she could stretch 1 lb. of ground beef to feed a family of 7.)
- Made us go to church on Sunday mornings even though there usually was an argument going on in the back seat as she was in the front seat blowing her freshly polished nails.
Our mom was by no means a perfect mother, but she was THE perfect mother for us!
Carols was preceded in death by her parents; 8 brothers & sisters; and her son, Donald “Rocky” Evans. She is survived by her husband, Bob Evans; daughters, Teresa Myers, Eva Cason and husband Ted, Bonnie Robinson; son, Randy Evans; 12 grandchildren; 17 great grandchildren; and brother, Morris Shaw of Carl Junction, Missouri.